01 November 2018

Day 28: Indulge

I'm writing Ann Dee Ellis' 8 Minute Memoirs in place of #NaNoWriMo.

I don't feel like a very indulgent person, but I think I am. Anytime there is a sale on something I've been sort of interested in? I indulge. I had a long day and there is ice cream in my freezer? I indulge. A band I love is coming back to town? I indulge.

I don't think I over-indulge. I tend to spend within my means, with occasional exceptions. Usually the month of December winds up being a little over-indulgent. Mostly for me. It gets harder to resist those bags of Lindor truffles from Target when it's 30 degrees Fahrenheit and threatening to snow.

What is life though, without a little indulgence? Don't get me wrong, I don't think I need to try everything--not by a long shot--but I want to try a variety. While I'm here.

Grad school feels indulgent. I quit my job so I could think about a topic I love all day every day. I sleep in on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm taking an extra class because I want to speak a third language. I read books for pleasure on the bus up to school and I leave campus whenever I am ready to leave for the day. Casey cleaned up his 5 year old laptop because it's nicer than the one I bought 7 years ago. I listen to podcasts and music throughout the day and I am writing more than I have in years.

It doesn't sound incredibly indulgent, I know. Maybe you'd rather hear about the time I took a deep breath and wrote a $10,000 check, or hear how many points I've racked up at Sephora. But anyone can do those things. I prefer this.

No comments:

Post a Comment