27 February 2011

The Oscars!

So even though my husband is trying very hard to distract me, I wanna make a couple of Oscar predictions (since I've actually seen enough of the movies to make an educated decision). I've always wanted to throw my opinion in. I'm just doing the main categories (the ones that matter). If you want my other opinions, you might get them tomorrow.


Best Picture
The nominees are:
Black Swan (love it)
The Fighter (like it a lot)
Inception (love it)
The Kids Are All Right (hate it)
The King's Speech (love it)
127 Hours (LOVE it)
The Social Network (love it)
Toy Story 3 (adore it)
True Grit (love it)
Winter's Bone (haven't seen)

My personal favorite to win is 127 Hours. Why? It outshines all the others in one simple aspect: It's a freaking fantastic 94 minute one man show and James Franco really takes it away. Only the incredible Danny Boyle could have pulled this off.

Who will win? Black Swan. For pete's sake, it's a psychological thriller about ballet. Awesome!

Best Actor
Javier Bardem in Biutiful (haven't seen)
Jeff Bridges in True Grit (really only a supporting actor)
Jesse Eisenberg in The Social Network (he embodies Zuckerberg's inability to feel)
Colin Firth in The King's Speech (regal and full of curse words)
James Franco in 127 Hours (like I said, 94 minute one man show)

My personal favorite to win? James Franco, in case you hadn't guessed from my previous notes.

Who will win? James Franco might do it, but Colin Firth might push him out. Colin Firth. Who doesn't want to watch the King of England walk around a room swearing, trying to beat a stutter?

Best Actress
Annette Bening in The Kids Are All Right (you're kidding, right?)
Nicole Kidman in Rabbit Hole (haven't seen)
Jennifer Lawrence in Winter's Bone (haven't seen)
Natalie Portman in Black Swan (perfection will drive you mad)
Michelle Williams in Blue Valentine (haven't seen)

My personal favorite to win is anyone who is Not Annette Bening. I hated that movie, I hated her role. The oppressive lesbian man of the house? No thank you.

Who will win? Hopefully not Annette Bening. Probably Natalie Portman. I hope so, she got the Globe for it already, so she's a bit of a shoo-in.

Best Supporting Actor
Christian Bale in The Fighter (soooooo good)
John Hawkes in Winter's Bone (haven't seen)
Jeremy Renner in The Town (pretty awesome)
Mark Ruffalo in The Kids Are All Right (the only good part of the movie that sucks)
Geoffrey Rush in The King's Speech (sooooooooo good)

My personal favorite vote is kind of split between Bale and Rush. I'm leaning towards Christian Bale though, you can't say no to an emaciated Batman.

Who will win? Christian Bale. I think the Academy will favor his weight loss and ability to piss off cops.

Best Supporting Actress
Amy Adams in The Fighter (fantastic, and I've never heard her swear so much)
Helena Bonham Carter in The King's Speech (versatility!)
Melissa Leo in The Fighter (the fact that you hate her means she's good)
Hailee Steinfeld in True Grit (you mean the leading actress? yup, her.)
Jacki Weaver in Animal Kingdom (haven't seen)

My personal favorite to win is Amy Adams. She does a marvelous job as the "MTV girl" as the family calls her, she's very supportive of Mark Wahlberg's character and very convincing as a college drop-out bartender girlfriend from Boston (accent and all!)

Who will win? Not Hailee Steinfeld, because she should have been up for Best Actress. The Academy screwed that one up. I'm going with Helena Bonham Carter as the convincing and regal Duchess of York/Queen of England (although I'm still pulling for Amy Adams).

No comments:

Post a Comment