27 November 2017

Day 26: Daily Tasks

I'm writing Ann Dee Ellis' 8 Minute Memoirs in place of #NaNoWriMo.

There aren't a lot of tasks I do daily. I was raised in a home with lots of weekly and monthly chores, and I have tried to more or less stick to that. Usually less; please don't look at my bathroom if you come over.

There are a lot of things I do daily though. I look at Facebook, I roll my eyes, I sleep, and I tell my husband I love him.

I remember once in a church meeting a man telling us all how much he loved his wife and family. He explained that he didn't tell them often and he wished he would remember to do it more frequently. My dad leaned over and whispered to me that those sorts of declarations were red flags to him. If you don't make a habit of telling the people that you love that you love them and instead only tell them in front of large groups of people, there are some things that they may need to sort out.

I don't remember who that man was, and I don't know if he was exaggerating for the congregation or if he really failed to tell his family that he loved them at home. What I do remember is my dad, using the opportunity and warning me to look for someone who would love me both in public and in private.

Loving my husband is the most important daily task I practice. Him loving me daily is one of the things that keeps me feeling sane. I'm relieved I've never had to ask him if he loves me, or endure a public proclamation that he's sorry he doesn't tell me often enough that he does.

It's hard to gauge what version of showing love daily is the healthiest, I certainly don't know what's best for you, but I think I've got a good thing going.

No comments:

Post a Comment